Sunday, March 22, 2009

It Ain't Mr. Rogers Neighborhood Anymore!

Well, after some thoughtful moments, I headed over to the neighbors to find out what they were recording. I was pretty sure I knew. I complimented them on their painted fence and their new rose garden, and then asked if there was something that I needed to know about since there was a tape recorder on the fence. Sunshine, the name I will be referring to as my female neighbor, told me that she and Cheerful, Sunshine's husband, were recording the dogs barking in the neighborhood. They claim that the dog's barking is bothering them incredibly. Cheerful has already gone to the dog barking police, and they have referred him to a prosecutor. I asked Sunshine why they hadn't come over or called to talk to us about this problem, because we would never want our dogs to bother anyone.

You see, when we moved into this house that we were and are so excited about last year in February, I came home to a note from the dog police hanging from our front door knob. That was day two of living in our new home, by the way. I promptly started going door to door to apologize because this was not our intention of welcoming ourselves to the neighborhood. I started out at these particular neighbors home because we already knew the neighbors on the other side of us and their dogs!!! Yes, they had called us in, and how impressed they were that I would come over and talk to them about it. I told them that I wished they would have come over and talked to us about the barking. I told them that I was very sorry that the dogs were bothering them, we exchanged phone numbers, and I reminded them that the dogs had only been in their new neighborhood two days and that could they please give them some time to get used to the new smells, sites, and sounds.

By the way - - I know for a fact that our dogs barked alot the last night we were unloading because I heard them when I came home at 10 pm from cleaning the rent house. They were worried we had left them somewhere that they didn't want to be, and we had left them outside while John unloaded. First of all, our dogs are inside pets, and the two of them probably felt as if their world had ended being left outside in this new place. Second of all, I cannot stand dogs that bark constantly, so I was beside myself that my dogs were so upset. I immediately took care of the noise, but apparently the damage had already been done. A week later, Sunshine brought our dogs some steak bones. Ah, a peace offering.

Back to yesterday, Sunshine then told me all about her new great-grandchild, her medications, and her trip to the hospital. I listened patiently, and told her of my excitement for the new baby, and that I hoped everything would be alright with her illnesses, and that if there was anything that I could do to help I would be happy to do so. Then I steered us back to the real reason for my visit. I wanted to know when the dogs were barking none stop, so that I could make sure that this did not continue to happen. She could not tell me, just that it bothers her. I then asked why they had not called or come by to talk about this with us. I again got no answer. I reminded her that I had seen them many times over the last year, at the mailbox, the dumpster, in the yard, the two weeks their grandson was in town, and he and Noble played at our home as well as theirs, etc., and that nothing had been mentioned. Oh well, it's not just your dogs its all the dogs around us. Then Cheerful comes in from the backyard, and we start all over again. They tell me about their children's dogs, that they really like dogs, and that when one of the neighborhood dogs start barking they all chime in. When this happens Sunshine and Cheerful know that they are just being dogs, but that the two of them don't know what they are saying, and that frustrates them. Uh huh!! This conversation is becoming hysterical to me, but I refrain from laughing. Cheerful brings me out the court documents that he is working on and tells me how much time this requires. I mention that I am sure that it does take some time, but probably less than a phone call or a walk next door. He states that it is very admirable of me to come over and talk with them about this situation. Uh hum!! The tape recorder was the only clue, Cheerful!! He says that perhaps they should have done the same thing. Ding, ding, ding!! Surely the court system has better things to do. The documents have five different addresses listed. I asked if they had spoken to any of these people. They had spoken to one, and Cheerful didn't like the way it went. He also doesn't like the way these neighbors are taking care of their yard.

Finally, after three times of telling me how admirable it was that I came over to talk to them, Cheerful, needs to get back to his yard work. He states that he will probably take our names off the court papers. He says that he is going to be tilling some of the yard and that it might get a little noisy. If it gets too noisy, he informs me that I can turn him in to the noise police. I let him know that I would never do that. Sunshine, starts to tell me about their summer plans, and I tell her that I need to get back home to clean my house. She says that she bets I thought that was pretty weird seeing a tape recorder on the fence. I reply that it really was, and that I felt a little violated. She then says that she bets I thought that they were recording John and I making mad passionate love to each other. I exclaim with an, excuse me!! She just smiles. I head on home, and as I get to my drive way I laugh uncontrollably. Tears, you guys!! Frustration, humor, anger, tension, etc., those kind of laughing tears.

John is gone with Noble camping through this whole experience thank you very much!! I promise myself not to say anything to him until he is home, unloaded, and showered. This is difficult for me. I really like to share my experiences with my husband, but I realize he needs to be home and relaxed for this one. He too, shares a similar response. The most fun has been plotting what kinds of sounds to record and play over the fence, but we won't. We will be kind and neighborly, and try to keep our dogs very quiet.

Today after church the phone rings, John answers it. It is Sunshine. He hands the phone to me. She says that she knows I have a green thumb, and that she has a few extra plants that she would like me to have. Ah, a peace offering!!

For now!?!?!

6 comments:

amylynne said...

This is quite an interesting on-going saga! Keep us posted! :)

TexasRed said...

Oh my heavenly days!!! I'm laughing hysterically!!!! Y'all always have interesting neighbors!!

You and John ought to settle down too! ;o)

So good luck with that!

Sunshine and Cheerful . . . I love it!

Danielle said...

Thanks for the laugh. I was laughing hysterically when John told us during primary and again when I read yours. Oh the joys of old people with too much time on their hands.

larshannon said...

Wow, what more is there to say?

Judy said...

Boy it really isn't Mr. Rogers Neighborhood....wonder what the next chapter will be like? Love their names.

Mel said...

School's out for summer! So, does this mean I will see a few more posts from you??? Miss you guys, so this is how I keep up with you!