Sunday, October 5, 2008

Super Blog

School is off and running. We just finished our first six weeks, and I cannot believe it. For once, I am not wishing the school year to go quickly so that I can get to summer. I am trying to savor each day and as many moments as possible. After listening to conference today, and especially President Monson's talk, I know that I need to slow down and concentrate on my family and building special moments with them. Life is just so darn good at getting in the way. I always feel so inspired after conference, with a strong desire to get everything in order. I need to learn to keep that desire all year long, or at least for six months at a time. I am sooooo excited to have Noble this year, and I want so much to remember every detail. At the same time, it is always so crazy for this working mom to figure out how to balance it all. I have sooooo much to do each evening and even more on the weekends. It just never seems to stop. I want to spend time with my family, but John works every Friday and Saturday at his second job. He tries hard to spend time with us on Sunday, but by the time church is over and he has eatten, he is usually so tired!!! Noble has homework. I have papers to grade, lesson plans to write, science labs to practice and plan, laundry, a house to clean, the dreaded grocery store trip, two church callings, which I love, but must prepare for, and anything in between. In the meantime, I would love to be reading a book, scrapbooking, daydreaming, gardening, decorating, or any other things that are all about me. I also need to love and nurture my adorable eleven-year-old son who is growing up so fast, and I feel like I am missing so very many opportunities to just be together. Ugh!!! Can anyone relate???!!!? ; ) I didn't even mention friends!! I don't know what to say about that. I know that I can be a good friend, but it seems to be last on my list. It can be a lonely existance without them.

The day after my last post my mom passed out while visiting a sick friend in the hospital in Odessa. She was on her way here to help alleviate my decorating woes and help me paint my china cabinet. She decided to stop and see a church member from Alpine who was in ICU. She is that kind of person!! We are really glad she decided to act on her prompting to pay this sister a visit because she passed out and landed chin first on the hospital floor, breaking her bottom jaw in half and separating the two jaw bones that connect to the top jaw. Rather scary and anxious times. She is now the proud owner of two titanium plates and a mouthful of wires and rubberbands. She stayed here with me for the rest of the week after her surgery. She was nervous about being in Alpine so far from anyone that could help or answer questions until she got used to her mouth full of metal. I took the week off from school, and totally loved being able to take care of her. It was a nice change. She celebrated her 60th birthday the day after she got out of the hospital. We celebrated by blenderizing a few things so that she could sip them. Yummy!! Another great thing about her being here with me, was that I got to see how many wonderful people care for my mother. She received numerous flower arrangements, meals, cards, visits, emails, and phonecalls. She still has a ways to go, and it is taking some time to adjust. We are still not sure why she passed out, and have some additional testing that will be done to look into that. She is a strong and loving woman, and I am so glad to be her daughter.

Noble got to go on his first 11-year-old campout. It was in one of his leader's backyards, but the boys had a blast. He had so much fun, and learned alot. He also got to finally go to the CAF Air Show with Chief. He has been several times before, but really wanted to go with his grandpa. They had a good time, and he bought another airplane to go with his collection.

We are slowing but surely working on some things in our yard and in our house. We are hosting Thanksgiving and are trying to have some of it ready before our guests arrive. It will be fun to have my family in my home for this holiday. It is hard to believe that it is already October.

Happy Fall Y'all!!

3 comments:

Mel said...

It's good to be caught up with y'all. I felt the SAME way after conference. I LOVED the talk about slowing down and enjoying every moment....so true.

Not Betty Crocker said...

Yay! You updated. Glad all is well in your world and your Mom is ok-poor thing!

Unknown said...

the background pages are really cute, so like you.
I kinda know what's going on but this gives the details and your musings and wishes so we like that.
Wish we could make it perfect for you and wish I hadn't added to your irritations last night...promise (again) to do better!
Love to all of you,
mimi