Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bart and Grandma's Furniture

My grandmother passed away unexpectedly at Thanksgiving a few years ago, and I miss her alot. Before that she moved in with my aunt and uncle. She was in great health, but needed the company and I am sure to be kept an eye on. She decided to give several of her things away since she would no longer be needing to furnish an entire house. I received several pretty things that I love. My cousin, Bart, and his wife, Julie, received my grandmother's dining room furniture, which consisted of a table and chairs and a china cabinet.

My cousin, Bart, passed away this year on January 1st after a very brave and courageous fight with brain cancer. He is dearly missed. He called last year in October and told me that he and Julie wanted me to have grandma's furniture. At this point we knew that his battle could not be won, but were hoping for more time. What do you say to something like that? I asked if he was sure, but that I would be honored to have it. His reply was that he knew that I would continue the tradition of family time around the table, and that I would share the memories of those who had sat around the table in years past.

All the cousins were hoping to gather at Bart's horse ranch after Christmas to spend some time together and help around the ranch. You see, my cousin Bart, has a huge heart, and ran a theraputic horse ranch for children. He was amazing. When my grandmother passed away we stayed out there with him for a few days, and he was so patient in helping Noble to learn to ride a horse. He had a talent and a love for serving others, and I am so proud to call him family. We visited Bart at Thanksgiving when we knew that things had made a turn for the worse, and again at Christmas. These visits were very brief, and his immediate family was extremely watchful and concerned. They took such great care of their husband, son, cousin, and brother. I will cherish being able to visit with him for a short time, and to see him smile.

Bart and his horse, Woody




Bart and Noble at the ranch - Thanksgiving 2005



I promise, Bart, and Grandma, to take very good care of the furniture. I will tell stories and share memories as I sit around it with others. I feel very humbled to have been asked to care for it, and will do so with love. I hope that you like what my mom and I have done with the table. Bart, there is a light stain that I could not quite sand down, but I feel like it was meant to stay. It is probably a ring left from some kind of horse mixture, and I love it. I sit on that side of the table, and I look at it every time I sit down. Grandma, underneath the table is the date 1958, perhaps that is when you bought the table. I dedicated the new paint job to the two of you, and I recorded that on the underneath of the table right next to the date. I hope that this furniture will be a special memory of you both, and can be passed down for generations to come. Thanks, Mom, for all your help in painting and stenciling the table. It was really special to work on this project together.



1 comment:

Not Betty Crocker said...

The furniture looks great! Good job. Sweet story about the family history involved in that furniture.