Friday, January 2, 2009

I Knew That Was It!

Do you remember any time in your life, perhaps at school, (this happens all the time in my classroom), that you uttered the phrase, "I knew that was it!?!"

Well, I said it today!!

Noble has a pretty bad sinus infection, and I just knew it!!!!!

The Monday before Christmas he woke up complaining about a sore throat, and with all my medical training, "motherly sense," I took him right in for a strep test. It was negative. Yeah! (Noble seems to be the king of strep throat.) So we treated it as allergies. He is allergic to cedar, and it is blooming right now, so there you go! We had him on his regular Allegra, some added Singular, and last but not least Flonase. A regular allergy cocktail for my boy!! Then this Wednesday night he started running fever. Thursday he ran fever - high fever!! I asked all my usual questions - throat? ears? nose? head? neck? chest? stomach? how about under your eyes in your sinuses? All he said was that he just didn't feel good, and that he had a headache. Immediately I thought, sinus infection, but he said that it didn't hurt under his eyes. So I dismissed my thoughts of sinus infection, darn motherly sense/medical training. We had a pretty rough night last night, so I called in to the doctor's office, and we made an appointment. We marched in with 103 temperature and one pretty sick boy. Strep test? Negative. Full blown sinus infection? Positive. I told the doctor that I just knew that was it, but that he said it didn't hurt in his sinuses. I was schooled today!! Apparently we don't develop the sinuses under our eyes until sometime between ages 10-14. Noble's infected sinuses are in the center of his head behind his eyes. Who knew?? As the doctor described how it would feel, Noble nodded his head in agreement. I felt like such a doofus!! I had sinus medication in my purse, of all places. I could have helped him out soooooooooo much sooner. Anyway, we have now had our trifecta!! We have ALL been sick this holiday season.

No comments: